Cab drivers, also known as taxi drivers, pick up customers from their specific location and safely drop them off to their destination. A cab driver can use their own car or they can use a vehicle that is leased from different companies.
Companies require drivers that are friendly, well-groomed with good driving records, flexible and make their customers comfortable. Sometimes it can be tiring because there can be 12 hours of working shifts. They need to work on weekends, night times as well as holidays.
Cab drivers don’t need formal education, but they require a minimum educational qualification. Education above higher secondary level is not required for cab drivers, but for most companies, 12th-grade qualification and one or two years of driving experience are always preferred. The age requirement ranges from 21-40. Also, drivers have to be licensed in their respective states.
Duties and Responsibilities of Taxi Drivers
- Operate or utilize vehicle: Using vehicles to carry passengers safely.
- Loading luggage: As part of customer services, cab drivers assist riders with luggage, bags, etc.
- Maintaining Vehicle: Keeping the vehicle neat and clean will ensure better comfort and a pleasant atmosphere for customers.
- Communication: Communication skills are important for cab drivers. From their environment, they are bound to find more knowledge and experience from various customers around the country.
- GPS Navigation: They must learn to read maps in the most efficient way to get passengers to his/her destination.
- Problem-solving: Cab drivers must be able to make swift decisions when a road is closed for construction or when heavy traffic occurs.
- Driving skills: The ability to drive the vehicle safely in traffic and raining conditions.
Top Cab Services
- Ola Cabs
- Uber cabs
- Meru cabs
1. Ola Cabs
Ankit Bhati and Bhavish Aggarwal (CEO) founded Ola cabs on 3rd December 2010. In 2014. This start-up expanded to a big network of more than 18,000 cars across India. In the present situation, Ola has more than 150,000 bookings per day from all cities.
2. Uber cabs
The Uber Company was founded by Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp in 2012. Cabs are booked through mobile apps or from the website. In 2015, Uber reached $2.8 billion dollars, an all-time high and it’s increasing every day.
3. Meru cabs
Meru cab startup is a cab service company based in Mumbai, India. Meru cabs services started in April 2007 in Mumbai. This cab service was founded by Neeraj Gupta.
Carzonrent is an Indian car rental company with its headquarters in New Delhi, India. Carzonrent operates with more than 6500 cars in India covering New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Gurgaon, Jaipur, Kolkata, Noida, Pune, Ghaziabad, and Faridabad.
Incentives and Revenue
Years back, incentives were very huge – when a cab driver completed 8 trips, he used to get 4000 rupees as incentives. If he completed 11 trips, it was around 6000 Rs. per day. So, drivers used to earn a maximum of 12k-15k per day.
But since there are tons of drivers coming in, the incentives got dropped to 2500 rupees for 12 trips per day. On average, cab drivers earn more than 3500 rupees per day and in a month, it’s around 100000/- (including diesel and maintenance charges).